911 Addressing

Regional Planning Councils (RPC) and Council of Governments (COG) work with the Commission on State Emergency Communications (CSEC) and local 9-1-1 address coordinators to administer the statewide 9-1-1 program enacted by law in 1987. The Permian Basin Regional Planning Commission Emergency Communications Department works with agencies throughout the 17-county region by providing planning and technical assistance to ensure delivery of 9-1-1 calls to the proper Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) and offering the correct location and telephone information. This system helps direct emergency services to the correct place in the event of an emergency.

The authority to set addressing standards was granted to counties in 1989 through Senate Bill 1091, which amended the County Road and Bridge Act. Section 2.001(b), Article 6702-1, authorized Commissioner's Courts to adopt their addressing standards to name roads and assign address numbers to property within unincorporated areas. 

Transportation Code, Sect. 251.013: Road Names and Address Numbers: (b)The Commissioner's Court of a county by order may adopt a name for a public road located wholly or partly in an unincorporated area of the county and may assign numbers to property located in an unincorporated area of the county for which there is no established address system.

                                       HOW TO OBTAIN A 9-1-1 ADDRESS

Request an address:

In-person: 301 N. St. Peter Street Stanton

Call: (432) 607-3599

Information needed: 

Driveway location:

  • GPS coordinates
  • Landmarks: large trees, ponds, etc.

 The reason for address:

  • New house, agriculture, septic/building/driveway permits
  • Description of any structures going on the property
  • Current mailing address/email and phone number                                                                                                        

After we receive the information about your location, we will issue a letter signed by the County Judge stating your 911 address in Martin County. The letter can be picked up at the Courthouse, or if you provided us with an email address then it will be emailed to you.